Sunday, July 12

Illegal Immigration

Excuse me as I get political for just a moment. Heather, this is for you. Because Twitter only gives me 140 characters to respond. Obviously not enough.

No, it is not okay to mock those who are not as fortunate as those of us born in the United States of America. That isn't why I found Martina's statement funny. I found her mocking of political correctness to be funny.

For the record, I love immigrants. That is what America is made of. All of us here have progenitors that immigrated here from other lands. Our diversity and welcome to those who are looking to escape demeaning situations is what makes our country special. That is what America is.
That being said, I think it is important to go through the proper, legal channels when entering a new land. The drain that illegal immigration causes to our school systems, our health care, our law enforcement and criminal justice system is unacceptable. Not to mention the effect that these things have on taxpayers. I would love to be involved in helping those less fortunate than I to be included in the wonderful benefits that our country has to offer, whether it be welcoming them to our land or helping them build the same kind of beneficial government in their own lands. I understand the hard times that Mexico is enduring right now with gangs, drug lords, and their own version of the mafia taking over innocent civilians lives and rights. That is not a good environment for anyone to have to endure and I would welcome them to escape. But legally. I believe in obeying the laws of the land.

That's all.

1 comment:

  1. Reyna,
    Good. I am glad that you love the illegal immigrants and that you do agree that they are the reason America is what it is.
    Should they come in legally? Absolutely. I agree with you completely on that. I as well would be more than willing to help them do it in a route that is more fortunate for all, including the welfare system, healthcare, criminal justice system, etc.
    Having said that...do you know how difficult and time-consuming it is to try to become legal? My friend Lucy, for example, has been here for twelve years, on a student visa, but still has not received legal status. She has been trying for a decade.
    They randomly accept some and therefore randomly deny others. Also, the tests that are required to be taken are ridiculous! I couldn't pass one. That's true, I've tried.
    I'm sure all illegal aliens would like to be here legally, but our system makes it so very hard. So then what? Send them back to Mexico? Sure, America is suffering. Everywhere is! But suffering in the states is significantly better than suffering outside.
    I want them to be legal, but it's not practical. And closing the border would go against what we declare:
    "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

    ReplyDelete

Because I love to hear what you think, leave a comment!