Tuesday, December 30
My family found this quaint little beach this afternoon. It isn't too big (actually very tiny) but it is friendly and fun. There was a boardwalk and I took a million pictures. There were crabs that we caught too. I just love my family!
Saturday, December 27
I want your opinion. Cute or not?
Wednesday, December 24
Tuesday, December 23
by Trenton Lee Stewart
While we are on the subject of children's books, let me tell you why I like them. I will quote Philip Pullman on this one, and he will adequately convert you.
And I am throwing in this one because I love it and I completely agree.
Sunday, December 21
And what do you do about it? Do you get all spicy and keep calling your wife until she remembers? Or do you have a total meltdown because it is way past your bedtime? Or do you sit quietly in the back seat and make silent death threats to the driver? What do you do?
Friday, December 19
Thursday, December 18
Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet,
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
I keep wondering now, how have they survived? As soon as a predator comes along, bam! They are on the ground. It's like asking the thing that's going to eat you, "Would you like fries with me?"
Wednesday, December 17
1) Dawna texted me at six am telling me to leave early because there was snow. I am so thankful she did because I had an exam at 7 and was planning to get up at 5. But that text woke me up. I have never ever gotten ready so fast in my entire life. Hoo boy.
2) I slipped on the way up the stairs and dropped my notebook everywhere. Stupid snow.
3) We aren't going to talk about this one. I am still not quite sure what to do...
4) The plane from Cincinnati was delayed. Stupid snow.
5) Florida is hot! I usually love it, but hello! I've been used to the cold and the jump to 80 degrees is intense! I might come back with a tan though. Too bad I forgot my swimsuit. Suck!
SO there are 5 bad things. Here are 5 good things:
1) I AM HOME!!!!! I missed my family so much and I am so happy to be with them.
2) Tavi loves me. He thinks that I am amazing and he keeps bringing me all his toys.
3) It's so nice and warm here! I will never be cold again.
4) I get to see Packer people today! That's right, be jealous.
5) Christmas is in 8 days!!!!!!!
So Happy Christmakkuh to all!
Sunday, December 14
Saturday, December 13
Thursday, December 11
Wednesday, December 10
Okie, His Dark Materials is actually a series, but I recommend it to all! You remember the movie, The Golden Compass? It was based off of Philip Pullman's Northern Lights, and it is actually way better if you read it. There is a great deal of controversy surrounding the books, but I find them to be rich in meaning and Pullman to be a masterful storyteller. I am constantly in awe, every time that I pick them up. For the more conservative of you, I would advise you to stick with the Chronicles of Narnia if it is an allegory that you are looking for. To the rest of you, those of you who can read and learn from it without making a fuss, I encourage you to read it with an open mind. It did not shake my faith, but reminded me of why I am so grateful for what I know. These books are full of truths and meanings, things that can be found everywhere if we are looking for them. The alethiometer is so similar to the liahona, and worlds without end are easier to understand when put in a children's book. Even though Pullman doesn't like C.S. Lewis or Tolkien, that is exactly who he is next to on my bookshelf.
p.s. I recommend the reader's guide to the series by Claire Squires if you get a little confused by all the jumping between worlds.
My favorite winter tale!
Saturday, December 6
Friday, December 5
This was amazing! I always wanted to run off to sea, and so this was just my cup of tea. I was a little tense throughout it though because she is being chased by a bad guy (of course). But William was wonderful and it was full of swashbuckling adventures! 5 stars!
Thursday, December 4
When Dawna and I watch movies, it is a very vocal affair. Especially if we have seen it before, as was the case with The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. The most common phrase heard was "He is beautiful!" But we both aimed it at different characters.