Sunday, November 23

Batman

I went to see The Dark Knight last night, and I must admit, I was a bit disappointed. Everyone had told me that it was so wonderful and I would love it (except for Dawna, who I simply must learn to listen to a bit more...), but it was not my kind of a movie. I was up late trying to figure out exactly why I didn't like it, and I came up with these 3 reasons:

1) It was too realistic.
I know what you're thinking. Batman is not realistic. But I don't mean it in a superhero sense, I mean that it takes place way too close to the regular world. Most movies happen on a totally different plane. There are two crazy and fantastic organizations, and the good one must stop the bad one from executing their evil scheme that will destroy the world. Most of these movies do not take place in the every day world. I think I was frightened, not necessarily by the joker, but by the situations that we taking place too close to an ordinary level. Does that make sense? Ask me a specific question if it doesn't and I will try to clarify.

2) Chaos
I have to have organization. From the very first moment I saw the Joker, I knew that he didn't have a motive, and that frightened me more than any monster on any scary movie ever could. He even gives a little speech about how he is the agent of chaos, and that was honestly the darkest thing I had ever heard. In Isaiah 27:1, Isaiah speaks of a leviathan that represents the forces of chaos that opposed the Creator. I remember the feeling I got the first time I read that scripture, and it was a moment of fear, and then utter relief that there is something stronger than chaos.

3) Too many climaxes
There were about 3 different times when I thought they should have started wrapping up the movie. Reminiscent of Transformers, it kept going and going, and you start getting tired, and having more than one climax is obnoxious, but you can sometimes make 2 work.

So that's my opinion. Feel free to disagree, I really don't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because I love to hear what you think, leave a comment!