Tuesday, December 23

Book of the Week

The Mysterious Benedict Society
by Trenton Lee Stewart

This is a fantastic children's novel (of course, what else do I read?) that Dawna gave me for Christmas. I found it tucked away in the front pocket of my suitcase when I got home, which was a lovely surprise. I am not quite done reading it yet, but I like it so far! It is a bestseller that got a Newberry medal and was Editor's choice, so it was highly recommended! If you like kiddie books, then you will like this one.

While we are on the subject of children's books, let me tell you why I like them. I will quote Philip Pullman on this one, and he will adequately convert you.

"There are some themes, some subjects, too large for adult fiction; they can only be dealt with adequately in a children's book.
The reason for that is that in adult literary fiction, stories are there on sufferance. Other things are felt to be more important: technique, style, literary knowingness. Adult writers who deal in straightforward stories find themselves sidelined into a genre such as crime or science fiction, where no on expects literary craftsmanship."

And I am throwing in this one because I love it and I completely agree.

"Stories are the most important thing in the world. Without stories, we wouldn't be human beings at all."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because I love to hear what you think, leave a comment!