Wednesday, September 2

Book{s} of the Week

I have read two books lately. One was good, one was bad. Let's start with the good.

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

I cannot thank Miss Amy enough for handing this book to me. It is incredible and I think that women everywhere should read it. It is not only a stimulating and thought provoking read, but it evoked an incredible amount of compassion that I did not know I had, while prompting me to become involved in world affairs. I have an incredible life. I cannot imagine being a woman of Afghanistan in the past 30 years. But this book helped me to perhaps glimpse a tiny bit of the fear and destruction that these people have faced and encourages me to want to do something about it.


The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
What? A story from the viewpoint of Dinah, daughter of Jacob, sister to Joseph? Sounds brilliant, doesn't it? False. I did not like it. Maybe you will, but I won't recommend it. There is something wrong about a book that would portray Joseph of Egypt in the manner that Anita Diamant did. Maybe this is my LDS side coming out, but I don't mind if it is. Joseph is one of my most beloved of Bible characters, and I hate to see him messed with like this. He was a great and incredible man, chosen of God to be a leader. A question I have frequently asked myself is, Am I a Joseph? This is kind of how I get myself back on track. No matter my trials, I know they can't be as bad as my brothers selling me as a slave, going to a new land alone, being falsely accused, and being in prison for years. So am I facing them with the faith and love that Joseph did? Am I still righteous? I hope so. Ok, sometimes I am a grumbler, a Laman or a Lemuel, but I am trying to be a Joseph. And remember how he prophesied of Joseph Smith? And of Moses? And how he was revered by Lehi, so much that he named his son after him? I can't get over how much I love Joseph of Egypt. So this was obviously not a book that I enjoyed. Seriously.

post edit: I forgot to tell you who Joseph Smith was, in case you were curious. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because I love to hear what you think, leave a comment!